Define goals and consider reality, obstacles, options and way forward.
Serena presents the GROW model to a skeptical Carol and Marcus. She says that GROW helped her become vice-president at Cutting Edge.
- G is for setting a Goal. Carol’s goal is increasing the number of keynote speeches she gives to international audiences, while Marcus wants to lose weight. Steve raises with Marcus his goal of working in Carol’s role while she travels.
- R is for Reality: where you are in relation to where you want to be. Serena explains how ‘grew’ into a VP. Steve checks the reality of his goal with Marcus .
- O is for the Obstacles to achieving one’s goal and also for the Options in overcoming those obstacles! Although critical of Serena’s GRO-OW, Carol nevertheless sees her lack of languages as an obstacle to her international stardom. Sam presents a third O – obstacles present Opportunities for him.
- W is the Way forward. What are the concrete steps that can be used to move ahead? Marcus will cut down his lunch cycle! He congratulates Steve for his initiative in stepping up for Carol’s job.
Key Learning Points
When you want to succeed with goals, find and remove the obstacles.
- DON'T wish for change INSTEAD: Define goals to achieve.
- DON'T be vague INSTEAD: Assess gaps realistically.
- DON'T let obstacles hold you back INSTEAD: See options and opportunities.
- DON'T wait for things to happen INSTEAD: Convert options into actions.
Interactive eLearning course
This video program is also available as a short stimulating eLearning course with interactive learning modules, recap activities, inline video and quiz assessments, designed to engage learners and build skills.
This is available as part of
- Leaders Guide
- PowerPoint Slides
Only preview versions of handouts can be viewed without a license.